By Natalie Hope Mosqueda
Holidays are high relapse times for everyone. You’re bored, you see your old friends having fun online, it’s your tradition to get messed up every holiday, the list of excuses can grow infinitely. with the holiday season just around the corner, here are some tips on how I stay sober during the holiday season.
- I double up on my meetings. Holidays are stressful for me so I need to work extra hard on my recovery program to keep myself in check.
- Go to sober holiday events. Almost every recovery program has so many activities and events during the holidays. My thanksgiving always includes stopping in Rise Recovery and other recovery program’s meals.
- Spend time with my family, but know it’s okay to leave early. I love my family, they are wonderful and amazing people, who can also drive me a little nuts. Today, I can cherish the time I spend with them, but also leave when I am ready.
- Realize holidays aren’t as big as I make them out to be. It’s just another day to be grateful I woke up sober.
- Take it easy on myself. I know holidays are hard for me, and I plan for it. I do more myself during the holidays and take each day at a time.